If you are one of those Folks who work by night and sleep by day you are probably no stranger to energy drinks or as I like to call them: Liquid cranks. ‘Cause, let’s face it, all they do is get you all cranked up and ready to roll.
So when I read this I totally freaked out, I drink energy drinks by the sleeve! And lately I’ve been buying Monster. Which is an okay energy drink, I honestly prefer other brands but that’s pretty much all I can get from the only vending machine in the building and now I am freaking out ’cause by the time I found this article I’ve already drank two Monsters ’cause I didn’t get much sleep last night.
Hit the break to read more.
HAGERSTOWN, Md. — The highly caffeinated Monster Energy Drink has been cited in five deaths and one non-fatal heart attack, according to reports that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is investigating.
The reports claim that people had adverse reactions after they consumed Monster Energy Drink, which comes in 24-ounce cans and contains 240 milligrams of caffeine, or seven times the amount of the caffeine in a 12-ounce cola.
Now, let’s dissect this first part; People with allergies have existed since forever. Take peanut allergy for example, people dies all the time due to this allergy. By this same logic people should’ve be dying ever since the first energy drink of any brand went out. And they have, just not so very often. 5 deaths in a few days are very unlikely to be the product of some kind of allergy because, simply put, there aren’t that many people with caffeine allergy.
Although the FDA is investigating the allegations, which date back to 2004, the agency said the reports don’t necessarily prove that the drinks caused the deaths or injuries.
“As with any reports of a death or injury the agency receives, we take them very seriously and investigate diligently,” Shelly Burgess, a FDA spokeswoman, said in a statement.
News of the FDA’s investigation follows a filing earlier this month of a wrongful death suit in Riverside, Calif., by the parents of a 14-year-old girl who died after drinking two 24-ounce Monster Energy Drinks in 24 hours. An autopsy concluded that she died of cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity, and the medical examiner also found that she had an inherited disorder that can weaken blood vessels. But the child’s parents claim Monster failed to warn about the risks of drinking its products.
Monster Beverage Corp., which touts on its web site that the Monster Energy Drink is a “killer energy brew” and “the meanest energy supplement on the planet,” puts labels on cans that state that the drinks are not recommended for children and people who are sensitive to caffeine. The company, based in Corona, Calif., did not immediately respond to calls seeking comment last week, but has said that it is “unaware of any fatality anywhere that has been caused by its drinks.”
So there you have it, Folks. Either those cans of Monster were somehow tainted or tempered with by a third party or that particular batch of Monster Energy Drinks was defective.
Visit thetandd.com to view the original article while I go to the E.R. to get my stomach pumped. Just in case.
FDA: Five reported deaths with Monster drink link
Thanks to Armando for sharing this piece of news and ruining energy drinks for me.
Paranoid Facebook Comments
Powered by Facebook Comments